Dr. Amy Bender of the Centre for Sleep & Human Performance joins us to talk about all things sleep related for athletes. Dr. Bender’s current research focuses on the relationship of sleep and recovery on athletic performance in Canadian National Team athletes. She is also an athlete herself having completed a full Ironman and is also a Community Colleges of Spokane Women's Basketball Hall of Famer.
Some of the topics we cover include:
- How to determine how much sleep we actually need
- Special considerations for early morning runners
- Napping protocols depending on your goals
- Her research with London Marathon finishers
- The effects of alcohol
- Optimizing sleep while travelling for races
- Suggestions for ultra runners who run through the night
- Her thoughts on the Nike Breaking2 project
Call or text us at 513-486-4636
Save 20% on SWORD Performance Products by using discount code:HEARTLANDRUNNER at checkout
Check out Steve Durbin’s Race at Durbin Race Management and use discount codeHRP15 to save 15%.
A special thank you goes out to The Ozark Mountain Daredevils for allowing us to use their music on the show.